Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Works for me Wednesday - Newborn Edition!

I have decided to have my own themed Works for me Wednesday this week. Things that work for me with a newborn or just after having a baby!

**Pantyliners!!
When you don't have any nursing pads - a pantyliner will work. I had totally forgotten about needing to buy some nursing pads. When my milk started coming in, I honestly had no idea what I was going to do with leaky breasts. I got to thinking - pantyliners! I cut them into little circles and stuffed them into my bra. They worked great!

**Any baby contraption that vibrates!!
There are times that Parker seems as though he wants to go to sleep but just won't let himself. We swaddled him up and put him in the Fisher Price Calming Vibrations Bassinet, turned the vibrate on and he was out!

**Coca-Cola!!
To survive the every three hour wakings.. I need my Coke!

**Method's Squeaky Green Diaper Cream!!
First day home from the hospital, Parker was already a poor sufferer of diaper rash. Betsy gave me some of this diaper cream and said it is the best she has found. I have tried all kids of creams with Graycen (Desitin, Balmex, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, A&D) and my favorite, hands down, was Balmex. This trumps Balmex! I love it and so does Parker's butt.

**A mother in law!!
(or someone that is willing to come take care of your child) We were lucky enough to have Ma come and stay here with Graycen while we were in the hospital. My mom came here when we needed to leave for the hospital and David's mom came and relieved her and stayed the rest of the while. She took awesome care of Graycen and I am sure she had a blast (as did Graycen) She made us dinner when we came home and it was scrumptious! Thank you, Ma.

**Blockbuster Online!!
Yeah, I know, you're supposed to sleep as much as you can. Well, what if you can't sleep? Not because you don't want to, but because you just can't fall asleep or the baby doesn't let you sleep? Blockbuster Online comes in handy for that! Well, so does cable tv.

**Canon PowerShot SD750!!
I am a pictureholic. You can bet that when I have cute little faces around, I take their picture! My camera sure comes in handy for this! We can take videos and pictures. I just love my camera!

For more tips from other parents - go on over to Rocks in My Dryer.

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

Isn't it funny how the second time around you forget to stock up on the essentials? The first time around you probably had a year's worth of breast pads ready to go three months before Graycen was born. Love the ingenuity with the panty liners.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice comment about me coming.. but I got two blessing on that visit. I got to stay with my Dolly and I got to see my little Budder... just a couple of days old. It loved feeling that I was needed. Thank you for letting me do that... Love to all

Emilie said...

Boy, I wish I'd known you need breastpads. I had an extra box lying around from when I nursed Daniel - but I couldn't find it, so I bought another box, which of course I don't need now. So ... lemme know if you get sick of the panty liners. :)

Karin said...

I have a 3 month old, so the newborn days have only recently passed, here. I was constantly reading lists like this while I was pregnant - the first time AND the second time. I'm proud to say I was pretty well prepared for both...but having #5 on your list - a mother-in-law (or, in my case, a mother) around was what really made those early days workable!

Marlene McGarrity said...

I love all of these tips from an experienced Mom.

Marketing Mama said...

Awesome product tips!

So how is nursing going? Feel free to e-mail me if you don't want to get into all the details here.

:) Missy

Anti-Supermom said...

Great tips. It seems like so far away from me when Wyatt was a newborn, but then again - it's like yesterday. Enjoy these first days!

Tara said...

Love all your suggestions!! lol My little girl is now 7 months.. old.. I can't believe it.. Just seemed like yesterday I was leaking everywhere.. and walking like an old woman from my C-Section.. Time really flies by ...