Monday, June 23, 2008

The Tattoo Game

So, I decided to play along in Missy's Tattoo Picture Carnival. I thought it could be pretty fun! Last week she posted a poll on her blog asking about people and tattoos. I definitely had to participate in this one!
I absolutely *love* tattoos. You would think by me saying this, I would have more than one, right? Well, I don't....yet! I plan on getting more, I just don't know when. I got this one back in June of 2004. After lots of recommendations from friends, David and I went to The Ink Lab in Minneapolis. We walked in and Niel helped us out. He sat down and talked to us about what we wanted (we were each getting our first tattoo that day) While Niel sketched out David's letters that he wanted (he came in knowing what he wanted done) I sat and looked through the books to see if I could find something. Nothing. I was bummed. Niel told me they had some files of art, too, if I wanted to look through those. Sure, why not?! I looked through everything and didn't see anything. I was looking for something that had a moon or stars...wasn't sure what, but something along those lines. I was looking through the folder of fonts (who knows why) and there was a little drawing of a moon and star together with some twinkle stars. That was it! That's what I wanted! I showed it to Niel, he enlarged it, drew some more 'dust' around it, asked how many stars I wanted and drew them and then we got started! I chose 6 stars. One for each of my siblings. The two yellowish orange ones for my brothers and the red ones for my sisters.
He had to stop about halfway through it. i thought I was going to pass out, was super sweaty and then I thought I was going to puke. I went to the bathroom and stood there for a minute. No puke! YAY! I went back in, the sweating stopped, he resumed. The most annoying/painful part of it was when he was doing the dust. Since he would just sit there with the needle on my skin, roll it in a little circle and then do it again. When he was done, I was so excited to see it! I looked at it and fell in love with it immediately! I was ready for another one!



I plan on getting this one touched up and I also want to get some more dust added to the right side of it. When I look at it in pictures or just in the mirror, it really irritates me that the right side doesn't come to a point like the left side does. Yep, I'm pretty anal about it...

I was going to get a second tattoo twice, but one of the times, the timing just didn't seem right and the second time, well, I was pregnant - so I couldn't. My next one will definitely be on my foot. I know that for sure. For clarification: not my ankle, the top of my foot! It will probably be a flower or something cute. Not really sure, but that's where it will be.

If you want to participate in this, too, post about your tattoo on your blog and you can go to here to add your post to the list for all to see!

Thanks for doing this Missy. It was fun!

7 comments:

Anti-Supermom said...

Great tattoo. Now maybe Parker was waiting so you could get this post up! Good luck with the appointment today.

Emily said...

You're funny! Now I know Parker has arrived. Where are the details and pictures!

Unknown said...

I planned on gettins a tattooo several times, but first the money, I walked in and found out how mucha stupid little thing was and walked out. I wasn't paying 75 bucks for a star! and the other time.... chickened out :)

Unknown said...

I planned on gettins a tattooo several times, but first the money, I walked in and found out how mucha stupid little thing was and walked out. I wasn't paying 75 bucks for a star! and the other time.... chickened out :)

Rebecca said...

Kristine, I love the post. I want another tattoo, too. Maybe we should make the trip together. Of course, we have to wait for Parker first.

Melissa said...

Sorry, that "moose" comment was from me :)

Marketing Mama said...

I didn't even notice the stars were not perfectly symmetrical. I think it's a beautiful tattoo! :)