Monday, April 14, 2008

What a waste of time

So, I woke up at 6:30 this morning to go in for my 3 hour glucose test down at the hospital. I get there, bleary eyed, check in and sit down. The lady calls my name, I follow her down the little hallway and sit down in the chair in front of her. She has to draw my blood before we start anything. She asks me if I fasted, as directed. I did. She then proceeds to tell me if I get sick (meaning, if i throw up) at any time during the test we have to stop. Okie dokie. She draws my blood, I am fine, we can proceed. She tells me the only have one kind in stock right now so I don't have a choice in flavors. I think "ok, just as long as it's not a red one" What does she come out with? But of course, fruit punch! Red drinks give me heartburn and burps - severely! I have to drink 100mL of this super sugary, non watered down fruit punch syrup. Yes, it drank just like a syrup. It was horrible. I had 5 minutes... only 5 minutes to drink syrup. Oy! I finished it and was afraid I was going to throw up right then. I sat there for a good while. People were coming and going but myself and 2 other pregnant women sat there... just waiting for our next draw. The other 2 girls were up. I sat there and felt it. Yep - the sickness. I could feel it coming. I got up and asked the receptionist where the bathroom was. She told me. I made it into the bathroom but didn't even have the chance to let the door close all the way or to even turn on the light before I lost it all. I went back to the receptionist and felt like an ashamed little kid. "I threw up," I say. She just looked at me like 'you poor thing' and said she needed to call my doctor to see what they wanted me to do. She comes back and tells me that since I didn't even make it to my 1 hour draw (I was seriously only 12 minutes away from my draw) and they have nothing from me at all, I have to come back and give it another try.
Yay me! So, I get to go back on an empty stomach and drink the crap and hopefully not throw up again. I am willing to bet I don't make it to the 1 hour draw again.

** I just want to clarify - I did make it to the toilet! There was no mess or antyhing to clean up... :-)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that...... and you wanted so badly to get through it. Do you have to sit there for 3 hours and they keep drawing blood? I don't know how this works, but it sounds crazy. Good luck next time. Maybe if you keep putting it off, Parker will be here and then there's no need. Not likely, what would they do if you can keep that crap down?

LutherLiz said...

Wow that sounds awful! I hope it goes smoothly the next time and you don't have to deal with it more than that!

Emily said...

The same thing happened to me, only I kept swallowing long enough for them to draw. It was awful, but there was no way I was starting over after all that time in the waiting room. I was so dizzy and looped out. Seriously that is pure torture!

Jeni said...

You poor thing! I remember by the end of my three hours I had a total sugar crash. I walked out of the place feeling okay, but ten minutes later I was shaking and had to stuff myself full of chicken fingers to keep from fainting. Not pleasant. Good luck next time:)

Marketing Mama said...

OMG, that totally sucks. Did you try to clean up the mess in the bathroom, or leave it there? (just curious).

Did you bring anything to do during the 3 hours? Maybe a book or something? I hope the next one goes better!

kristine said...

Oh, Missy.... I actually made it to the toilet. I would never let myself throw up on the floor. Ha ha! I did make it there it was just the door ddn't shut all the way and I didn't have time to turn the light on (but could still see since the door was almost open)

I did bring stuff to do: magazines, book, notbook and pen (for all of my lists that I make)
I had to actually put my magazine away because it was making me feel worse at that time. I knew if I had walked around I probably would have fallen over, too.

Anti-Supermom said...

Given that I've taken this test a few times you might want to see if they have a private room just for you. Also, I brought my portable DVD player and watched a movie, the time flew by. Seriously, good luck though. It really does stink!

Thanks for visiting my blog too~

Emilie said...

Ugh. That sounds awful - I hate throwing up, especially in a strange toilet! Can you make sure they get you a non-red drink next time? {{{hugs}}}