Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Works for me Wednesday - No More Icky Sponges

If you're a sponge user, like I am, then you know how icky smelling they get after awhile. I have a quick and easy solution to get the icky smell out of your sponges and get them clean at the same time. You get the sponge wet, put it in the center of your microwave, set the timer for 2 minutes and push start. In two minutes you will have a better smelling, clean, sponge.

*NOTE: The sponge will be VERY hot!!!! You will either want to wait to remove it or use something to pick it up.

Another thing that works (instead of the microwave trick) is putting your sponge in the dishwasher when you run a load. I don't know if it kills the bacteria like the microwave does, but it does get it clean and non-stinky!

For more great tips, head on over to Rocks In My Dryer.


Veggiemomof2 said...

I throw mine in the dishwasher. I'd probably fry it in the microwave! LOL

Jeni said...

Whenever I boil water in my tea kettle, I add a little extra to pour over my sponge. That boiling water kills the bacteria & the smell instantly!

Rebecca said...

As a kid, I never understood why we had to wash or throw away sponges. They're used to clean things, so shouldn't they by nature be clean all the time?

Rachel said...

For real?! And the microwave doesn't get stinky or anything? I have so much to learn.

anti-supermom said...

I'm with Veggie Mom - mine go in the dishwasher but I like that we all have this same stinky sponge problem :)