Saturday, July 12, 2008

Go ahead, call me Domestic Goddess!

I have spent hours in the kitchen today and I made quite a bit of things that I am pretty darn proud of to show for it!!

Brownies
I wouldn't have used a recipe from the Kraft Foods website for brownies, but I only had semi-sweet baking squares and most recipes call for either unsweetened baking squares or cocoa powder.
All in all, they turned out pretty well. They definitely don't have the distinct brownie texture or taste that I prefer, but they were still nummy!

Ingredients
1 pkg. (8 squares) BAKER'S Semi-Sweet Chocolate, divided
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine
2/3 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1/3 cup chopped Planters Pecans, toasted (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Place 6 of the chocolate squares and the butter in large microwaveable bowl. Microwave on high 2 min. or until butter is melted. Stir until chocolate is completely melted. Add sugar; mix well. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Stir in flour and pecans until well blended.
Spread into greased 8- or 9-inch square baking pan.
Bake 22 to 25 min. or until toothpick inserted in center comes out with fudgy crumbs. (Do not over bake.) Cool in pan on wire rack. Melt remaining 2 chocolate squares as directed on package. Drizzle over dessert**; let stand until firm. Cut and serve.
**I chose to spread the chocolate like a frosting rather than drizzle it since it tasted more like a cake anyways. Besides...who doesn't like frosted brownies?

The original recipe can be found here.

...................................................................................................

Egg Salad
I made the egg salad while the brownies were baking. (I have never made this before so I had to go online and get a recipe)


Ingredients
1/3 cup Kraft Mayonnaise
3 Tbsp. yellow mustard
1/2 tsp. paprika
12 hard-cooked eggs, coarsely chopped
1 cup green onion slices
Mix mayo, mustard and paprika in medium bowl until well blended.
Add eggs and green onion; mix lightly. Cover. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving.

Well, I didn't have any mayo, only Miracle Whip in this house, so I used that. I think next time - it would definitely taste better with mayo and also - far less mustard!

The original recipe can be found here.
...................................................................................................


Dropped an egg on the floor and wondered how to clean it up without making an even bigger mess. I asked David what he thought. Said he remembered reading/hearing somewhere to put something on it, thought it was flour, so he googled it (like we always do!) and it is actually salt. So, if you ever drop an egg on the floor or counter, cover it with lots of table salt and wipe it right up. It works wonders!


...................................................................................................

French Toast Sticks


Ingredients
Any kind of thick bread (I used a loaf of Lakeland Texas Toast - can be found in the bread aisle)
1 & 1/2 c of whatever milk you normally drink **
1 egg
cinnamon (to taste)
powdered sugar or brown sugar (to taste)
vanilla (optional)

* This ingredient can be substituted for the flavored liquid coffee creamers (or plain, if you'd rather add the spices) I used french vanilla coffee creamer and it worked out great since it was already flavored I didn't have to add anything but an egg.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mx all of the liquid and dry ingredients together in a bowl. Spray a 9x13 baking dish (works best if you are using a clear glass dish so you can see the bottoms of the sticks) with cooking spray. Cut the bread into strips. In a large bowl (large enough to hold all of the bread and liquid) place bread sticks. Pour the mixture over the bread sticks. Shuffle the sticks around with your hands until well coated. Line the sticks, side by side on the baking dish. At that point the sticks can be sprinkled with additional cinnamon if you want.
Bake on one side for 10 minutes or until you can pull them easily off of the pan and they are toasting. Flip all sticks (they should be brown and toasty not wet and mushy) bake on the opposite side for 5-10 minutes or until they are also toasting.

These can also be frozen for later. Just heat in the oven for 20 minutes if frozen 10 minutes if thawed.

The original recipe can be found here.

..................................................................................................

While the french toast sticks were baking, I made a dinner of Swedish meatballs.


Followed by another 2 batches of french toast sticks.

...................................................................................................

Oatmeal Strawberry Bars
So, these were supposed to be raspberry but I discovered when I popped open the jar, that I had bought strawberry preserves not raspberry. Still super nummy but would be better with raspberry preserves or maybe even peach! Next time I will use unsalted butter instead of the salted variety.


Ingredients
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 & 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 & 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats
10 ounces raspberry preserves (I actually stretched it to about 14-16oz rather than 10oz)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Beat butter with a mixer until smooth and creamy. Add brown sugar and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, and oats. Add this to the butter mixture, and mix well. Press half of the mixture into the bottom of a greased/sprayed 9″ x 13″ pan. Spread raspberry preserves on top of crust. Sprinkle the rest of the crust mixture on top of the preserves. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Cool on a rack; then cut into bars.

The original recipe can be found here.

6 comments:

Steph said...

Wow Kristine! Looks like you made a lot of nummy food! I bet everyone's tummies were happy!

Anonymous said...

Been cooking up a storm. Was some of that to be frozen.. or was that breakfast, lunch, dinner and dessert.... nummy... we are having BBQ'd Ribs... NANANANA BOOBOO

Anti-Supermom said...

Man you were busy, it's appears that youve gone into some sort of post-birth nesting. Does this happen?

Good for you, you must be feeling fabulous.

kristine said...

Ma- I made 2/3 of the french toast sticks to be frozen. No, it wasn't the meals for the day. French toast sticks were to help me in the mornings, egg salad was for lunch today, swedish meatballs for dinner last night and nummies for, well..nummies!

Beth- Not sure what the deal is. I seem to recover so well from having babies. I was up cleaning up my hospital room just shy of 12 hours from delivering. I came home, unpacked our bags and organized everything up. I always feel so good - like I never even had a baby. People just can't believe it. I am so thankful though.

Melissa said...

those oatmeal strawberry bars look really REALLY good!

Marketing Mama said...

Sorry i haven't stopped by your blog this week, I've been super busy, broken arm (for Alex) and all. Anyways, I cannot believe you made all this in one day? Whoa! You can cook for me anytime! :)